Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Yes, yes, Christmas is a very close second, followed by of course the 4th of July, but I digress! Back to Thanksgiving!
It’s a long standing tradition that our family gathers at our home each year for Thanksgiving. We’ve lovingly dubbed this as the Rally of the Clan. Over the years our numbers have grown as siblings have had children, children have gotten married, children are now having children, you get the idea. This year, we’ll have a total of 19, actually a smaller number than in the past, I still just love it!I Unfortunately, for many of us it’s the only time during the year when we see each other. Like all of you, I’m so thankful for the gift of family, friends and friends who have become family!
This past year has been a whirlwind and has had it’s fill of challenges and accomplishments. As I step back and look at the challenges and the accomplishments I give thanks for a surrogate family, the AADOM Tribe! Not a day goes by that I’m not impressed with our members, an incredible group of individuals. Just a few things come to mind as I reflect on this year and give thanks:
- Members who welcomed a brand new office manager and member into the fold when he pulled up stakes in San Diego to help his wife open her practice in North Dakota. I’ve watched as seasoned practice administrators have been a sounding board, a mentor, and a resource to help this member and his wife during their first year of business.
- Watching our Dental Spouse Business Network take up a collection to send one of their group to the conference. Not only did they raise enough to cover conference tuition, but they were able to cover three nights hotel!
- Witnessing the support that abounds in the Members Only Forum – members freely providing advice, ideas, recommendations and support to each other, in many cases providing contact information to take calls from other members.
- Seeing the selfless way our members care for each other on social media when tragedy strikes. The way they reach out to each other to check in and make sure they are ok. Whether it was Las Vegas, Napa, Houston, Florida or any other area of the country, almost immediately members were reaching out to members of the Tribe to make sure they were ok.
- Probably one of the most moving moments this year – at the conference in Scottsdale where, when faced with the reality that over 20 of our attendees would be stranded in Scottsdale as Hurricane Irma was barreling through the state of Florida, our members, speakers and exhibitors stepped up! Without being asked, individuals passed a hat to donate money to help pay for hotel rooms and food for the stranded attendees. We were able to cover all of their room stays and were even able to provide food for many. This incredible show of support is like nothing I’ve ever witnessed, I was truly proud and humbled by what I witnessed in the ballroom that day!
So yes, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Reflecting on the gifts in my life and taking the time to say thanks is not something I take lightly. I’ve been blessed with a beautiful family, wonderful friends and this AADOM Tribe!
Please take some time over the coming days to stop and reflect on the gifts in your life. Don’t wait to tell someone you care, to say thank you, or to say I love you. Thank you to our AADOM Tribe, for all you do and for all you give to each other! I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!